Trending
Loading...

Common Hair Styles for Nigerian School Girls

Share on Google Plus

Growing up in Lagos, one of my not-so-fond memories (especially during my primary school years) was going to the market on weekends, to get my hair braided in preparation for school the following week.  As you already know, I was not alone.  Both me and my sister had to go through this ordeal week after week.  Of course there was the usual compare and contrast twins undergo with strangers, market women included.  Fun Apeere (For Example):

Market Woman (addressing the young, shy and scanty-haired Relentless): "Why is your own hair so scanty and your sister's hair is full?"



LiveGood247 (At least, what my response should have been): "I don't know! Ask God!"

But that would have earned me a good slap from the said market woman, and even more slaps and a good round of caning by my mother, if she heard I had committed such an "atrocity." The conversation did not end there though, as you shall see.

Market-woman-turned-dermatologist (addressing both of us):  When you get home, tell your mummy to use *Adi-agbon (coconut oil) for your hair.

LiveGood247 (thinking to herself): Adi-agbon ko, Adi-agbado ni!

Without boring you with any further details of my childhood, or going into details of the various unsavory "post-wiwi" odors I had to endure, all in the name of plaiting suku orkolese on my head, I decided to compile a list of hair styles that are common amongst school girls. Of course, you had to do these hair styles WITHOUT any attachments, i.e. hair extensions.  That was reserved for holidays.  (N.B:  I might compile a similar list for boys later on, but so far, the only entries I have are "Tyson" and "Gorimapa")

I had primary school and secondary school students in mind for this post. Here are the contenders (in no particular order):


1. "All back" (a.k.a. Corn rows)  

It is called Kolese in Yoruba and I daresay is the most popular hair style amongst school girls.  If your hair braider cannot plait 'all back,' then what can she plait? It could start from the very edge of the hairline (like Ghana weaving) or with a little (sometimes, a LOT) of "brushing" from the hairline downwards.  I heard that in some schools, only senior girls were allowed to put "brushing" in their hair.  True or False?

"All Back" with Didi a.k.a French Braids
and Weaving 

Corn rows
*Variations: Front and back, Two-step (or is it called "Full step"?), Ghana weaving, Shade Adu.

2.  "Calabar" (a.k.a Individual braids):

Calabar 
This one was the shakara hair style because your hair had to be a certain length to pull this style off properly.  If your hair no long reach, na "puff puff" (see below) you go opt for o! LOL!


3. Patewo (Kpa-Teh-Woh):

Patewo literally means 'Clap your hands' in Yoruba and that pretty much describes the hair style itself.  

Patewo 
Front and Patewo 
*Variations: Front, Patewo and Back; Front and Patewo; Double Patewo

4. Suku /Shuku (Shoo-Koo):

I think everybody's grandmother (in the village or city) and their mother must have done this hair style or some variation of it.  I almost put up my secondary school picture with me 'rocking' this hairstyle, but then, I wouldn't be anonymous again, would I? *wink*

Suku (or 'Shuku') Didi (French Braids)
Suku with extensions 
*Variations: Suku Ologede (Suku with curves like a plantain/banana), Front and Suku.



5. Koroba

I guess this hair style was designed to resemble an overturned (upside down) pot.  See any similarities?

Koroba

Variation of Koroba
*Variation: Orisabunmi (Suku + Koroba)

6. Puff-Puff

No, not the snack, but the hair style.  I am not even sure this is the proper name (Feel free to correct me), but this is what I remember calling it.  Of course, thread (black rubber thread or black cloth/fabric thread) is used to create this hair style.  If you know the proper name or an alternative name for this hair style, please share it in the comment section :-)

Puff-Puff 
Puff-Puff Variation

7.  Hair Styles made with thread:

I am not familiar with the specific names of these hair styles, but they all have one thing in common: thread is used to create them, instead of the typical braiding or plaiting. 

P.S. As per the title, how original, shey? *grinning*

Hair Style made with thread
The following did NOT make the list because I could not find pictures to back them up:

  • Police Cap
  • Panumo
  • Ojompeti 
  • Ipako Elede
I wish I knew the English names or had pictures, but like they say: Half Agege bread is better than a bag of chin-chin!

YOUR TURN:  What other hair style(s) would you have included? What was your favorite hair style in school? Mine was "all back" :D

Source: Relentless

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. I need the hair picture for two face its urgent please

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could you share more light? You mean 2face?

      Delete
  2. What about snr girl hair style

    ReplyDelete
  3. What about ultimate, please?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous19 June, 2022

    What about attitude hairstyle

    ReplyDelete

Enjoyed The Post??? Your Comment Will Talk Better.

About me


LiveGood247.com is one of the Most Visited Blog that brings Health Tips, Relationship Talks, Quotes and lots more educating post to your care, all over the world.

Like Us On Facebook

Search This Blog